Programs prep students for finals

As students prepare for finals week, the University is also getting ready to help make what could be a stressful week a little easier.

To accommodate late-night study sessions, the Marshall Student Center (MSC) and the Library will extend their hours of operation during next week.

The MSC, which is usually open from 7 a.m. to midnight on weekdays, will be open until 3 a.m. beginning Sunday.

To kickoff the week, the MSC, along with Student Government’s Division of Student Affairs, will serve breakfast – eggs, bacon, hash browns and juice – to students Sunday at midnight. Coffee and snacks will also be provided Monday through Wednesday starting at midnight.

Most of the MSC’s rooms will be reserved for study space, said Student Body Vice President Bruno Portigliatti, and professors will provide review sessions from today through Wednesday on the third and fourth floors.

The Library, which extended its hours of operation to 24 hours Sunday through Thursday at the beginning of this semester, will keep that schedule for exam week, Portigliatti said.

But since it’s the first time the 24/5 schedule will be in place during finals week, students may see some changes.

Because the Library is only open on the first floor after 11 p.m. under this schedule, Portigliatti said an increase in student traffic could lead to the opening of additional floors.

“We’ll have to see how everyone fits in the Library,” Portigliatti said. “Student Government will assess and see if there’s a need to open up other floors.”

As students study all night, some may worry less about their health while they are “preoccupied with projects and final papers,” said Dr. Egilda Terenzi, director of Student Health Services (SHS).

Despite the increase in stress, Terenzi said SHS does not typically see an increase in patients during finals week.

“We don’t get a huge rush of students at this time,” she said. “We stay running with full appointments during the academic year.”

Even if students aren’t coming into SHS, Terenzi said, simple acts – like exercising between tests – will leave students feeling refreshed and less stressed.

But there is one thing to avoid.

If students are looking for an extra boost, Terenzi said, they should avoid consuming too many energy drinks.

“With energy drinks there is often a crash later – possibly during your exam,” she said. “So make sure to keep the caffeine moderate.”

Students should eat regularly and get enough sleep to maximize performance, she said.

“It’s all about being sensible and balanced,” Terenzi said.