Bulls get No. 2 seed

After finishing the season 10-6, the No. 19-ranked USF women’s tennis team earned the No. 2 seed in the Big East tournament, which begins Friday and will be held at Notre Dame.

USF earned a first-round bye and will play the winner of No. 7 seed Rutgers and No. 10 Pittsburgh.

The Bulls, who have reached the championship game in three of the last four seasons, have been ranked as high as No. 15 in the country and have seven wins over ranked opponents this season.

After a 7-13 season, the men’s tennis team – the defending conference champions – earned the No. 3 seed in the Big East tournament and will play sixth-seeded St. John’s on Friday.

Softball hosts Pittsburgh

The Bulls (20-20, 5-4), who took two of three at Providence last weekend, host Pittsburgh today for a doubleheader beginning at noon.

USF hosts DePaul for a three-game series this weekend.

Richardson honored

After pitching USF to two victories last weekend, starting freshman pitcher Lindsey Richardson was named to the Big East Honor Roll.

Richardson, who is 10-4 with a 1.94 ERA this season, struck out 10 batters in 13 1/3 innings, becoming the first Bull to reach 10 wins this season.

“She has been our most consistent pitcher this year,” coach Ken Eriksen said in a statement. “She has the drive to win, so having her start two games this weekend was a no-brainer.”