Runway Rundown: Target Trends

Target — one of the most popular college shopping outlets — brings big-name designers like Rodarte and McQueen to consumers at affordable prices.

Designers whom often have clothes featured in high-end stores for hundreds or thousands of dollars are now offering similar designs at much lower prices — not a bad deal for fashion conscious students with financially conscious habits.

Liberty of London is the current designer name of the women’s  and housewares departments at Target on Fletcher Avenue. The repeated flamboyant floral patterns and bright colors make this label hard to miss.

With the help of a Target team member, it wasn’t hard to get into a few of the fun dresses and realize dressing for class can be cute, classy and comfortable.

With dresses ranging from $25 to $35, it is affordable for students who like to look good on a budget, especially compared to Liberty London’s 2009 collection, with runway dresses starting at $300.

Another designer in selected Target stores is Jean Paul Gaultier, the man responsible for transforming lingerie, including Madonna’s iconic cone bra back in the ‘90s.

Celebrities like Zoe Saldana (Avatar) and Beyonce have sported his threads, so it makes channeling your inner rocker pocketbook-friendly. In Gaultier’s collection, you’ll find dresses, tops and swimwear ranging from $20 to $60.

Although the tattoo mesh tops are unorthodox and many of his dresses maintain a pin-up feel, there are casual pieces in the collection that work well for a long day on campus.

The limited collection has been available since March 7 at 250 Target locations and will be online and in stores until April 11.

Target also offers lines like Merona, Mossimo, Xhilaration and the ever comfortable, Converse One Star.

Zac Posen, famous for his award-winning women’s wear, will be the next designer to hit Target stores. This collection, scheduled to launch April 25, will bring simplicity with pleated mini skirts, floral patterns, braided belts and elegant dresses — all ranging from $16 to $75.

For students who are fashionably frugal, Target offers a variety of renowned designers, proving you don’t need a big checkbook to look stylish. Check out Target.com for the latest looks.