Draft process under way for Jones

USF junior guard Dominique Jones is expected to put his name into the NBA draft pool, the program announced Tuesday.

Jones, who sent a letter to the NBA on Tuesday seeking an application for the draft, will receive a review of his status when teams start draft workouts for early entrants April 29, and he’ll have the option to return to school for his senior year.

If Jones decides to return, he must withdraw his name his by May 8 at 5 p.m.

“I am supportive of Dominique and his decision to submit his name into the NBA Draft,” said coach Stan Heath, who’s coached Jones for three years. “I will assist him in gathering information about his NBA status and help Dominique make the best decision in regards to his future.”

On March 17, Jones released this statement: “I have not made a decision on going to the NBA or returning to USF. At this time, I plan on gathering information on my status and will likely test the waters to further determine my positioning within the draft.”

As long as Jones does not sign with an agent, he can come back for his senior season. Most draft experts have Jones, an All-Big East first-team selection after averaging more than 23 points per game in conference play this season, in the second round. First round selections are guaranteed a contract, which could affect Jones’ decision.

Jones said earlier this season that his decision to enter the draft would hinge on USF’s accomplishments. Though USF failed to make the NCAA tournament, it reached the postseason for the first time in eight years, losing to N.C. State last week in the first round of the NIT.

Men’s soccer to host Tampa pro team

The USF men’s soccer team will host FC Tampa Bay on April 10 at 7:30 p.m. at the USF Soccer Stadium.

FC Tampa Bay, formerly known as the Tampa Bay Rowdies, is a professional team associated with the North American Soccer League. Tickets are $5 in advance or $7 at the gate. The Bulls finished 14-4-3 last season.

Big day for Boggs

Former USF soccer player Zak Boggs, who started all 44 games the past two seasons, signed a one-year contract with the New England Revolution on Tuesday. He was taken in the second round (31st overall) of the MLS Super Draft. Boggs is expected to fill one of two remaining development roster spots.

“It’s awesome,” Boggs said Tuesday. “I’ve been here for a while now, and it’s been awesome. I don’t know what else to say – it’s been great.

“I want to play. But I have to take it one step at a time, day by day, and not get too far ahead of myself. There are going to be highs and lows, and I’ll try to take it all in stride.”

Boggs, who was the Big East Male Scholar Athlete of the Year for the 2008-2009 season, was also nominated Tuesday as a finalist for the Sullivan Award, which honors the nation’s most outstanding athlete and recognizes qualities of leadership, character and sportsmanship.