Broken heater cuts off hot water in dorm

For a few hours Monday’evening, residents of Iota Hall were without hot water.

At 6:30 p.m., a water heater broke in R. I. Quarters F (RQF), located between Iota Hall and the Purchasing and Property Services building, said Roger Hinkle, a maintenance technician at USF.

‘(This) doesn’t happen often,’ he said. ‘Luckily, there was a floor drain in there.’

University Police, who responded to a call about the incident at Iota, contacted the maintenance department. The Friendly Plumber, a plumbing service located on Adamo Drive, helped Hinkle fix the broken joint 15 to 20 minutes after being contacted, Hinkle said.

Hinkle said that when he arrived, water was pouring out of RQF doors.

‘Things happen,’ he said. ‘You don’t get too excited about (these) things, you just come in and take care of it and move on. These are old’buildings, you know. It’s like having an old car.’

Students in Holly E residence hall had a similar experience’ Jan. 12 at 6:40 a.m., when steam from a broken hot water pipe triggered the fire alarm, said Dorie Paine, director of Housing and Residential Education.

Paine said a hole in a pipe leading to an air conditioning unit caused the steam to leak. Flooding also occurred on the third floor.

‘I thought it was a fire drill,’ said Madison Bickel, a sophomore majoring in theater’performance. ‘I expected to be outside for only 10 minutes.’

Paine said the affected areas suffered no major damages from the flooding and nothing had to be replaced. The pipe was repaired Monday night. – Additional reporting by Mia Shuler