Leading researcher to lecture at USF

A prominent researcher for children’s rights, social justice and health equity will speak on campus this week.

The College of Public Health Dean’s Lecture Series and USF Health Department of Pediatrics will host Dr. Jeffrey Goldhagen for two lectures Thursday.

Goldhagen is a professor of Pediatrics at the University of Florida’s College of Medicine in Jacksonville and chief of the Division of Community Pediatrics.

He has worked with the American Academy of Pediatrics and several other organizations around the world to examine how society can redefine the practice of pediatrics to focus on children’s rights, social justice and health equity.

His lecture titled “Human Rights and Health Equity: The Millennial Paradigm for Public Health” will focus on how public health practice can take a form that focuses on human rights, social justice and the assurance that all children have the same opportunity for health and development.

“From the context of human rights and social justice, we are able to redefine how we actually practice pediatrics in both the clinical and public policy level,” Goldhagen said. “So this is a new movement that is at the beginning, helping to redefine how we approach pediatric care.”

The first lecture will be at 8 a.m. in Tampa General Hospital’s MacInnes Auditorium and the second at noon in the College of Public Health’s Samuel P. Bell Auditorium.