Runway Rundown: Spring styles

Designers paint the runway this season in brightly-colored accents, neutral bases and reinvented popular styles from the past.

From Oscar de la Renta’s always classic and streamlined bags to Marc Jacob’s tropical prints that have a summer feel, designers are branching out and mixing patterns and colors.

For students on a budget, here are a few eye-catching pieces and ideas to kick-start a fashionable, affordable spring wardrobe.

***

Featuring a fitted floral dress,  which was worn by First Lady Michelle Obama at the Democratic National Convention in 2008, Thakoon Panichgul’s spring collection is in the fashion spotlight.

Attention to detail and casual designs put this designer into the everyday-wear category. The new collection brings the natural tones of spring into life, bursting with hard to ignore floral prints.

While it may be too expensive to grab the costly couture of the runway, the same floral theme can be found on pieces with an affordable price tag.

Student-friendly option: Loulou Top by Guess; $69

***

Earth-like colors and tribal wear have found their way to the runway in Rodarte’s spring collection. Pairing primitive details with abstract artwork, this line is a bold fashion statement.

Fun, eye-catching jewelry is the perfect topping for a simple outfit. Bring out that inner wild side with an outlandish tribal cuff or necklace.

Student-friendly option: H&M’s bronze multi-chained necklace; $12.95

***

For college students, there’s never been a better time to get loose and relax. Nothing goes better with Ralph Lauren’s loose-fit dark denim look than a newsboy cap or ivy hat featured in the 2010 collection.

Lauren is known for his sophisticated and preppy style and continues the all-American feel in the new baggy line. Whether it is in the form of an over-sized button-up sweater or a pair of spacious jeans, the baggy look is in this season but more affordable options are easy to find.

Student-friendly option: Charlette Russe Boyfriend jeans; $34.99

***

It’s still unusually chilly outside and being stylish shouldn’t leave anyone shivering. Try replacing a tank top with the perfect tailored jacket.

From formal business jackets by Miss Sixty to the military jacket popularized by Madwell, look for a structured fit to stay fierce and fabulous during the frigid spring school days.

Student-friendly option: Forever 21 Cadet precision blazer; $29.80

***

Cute is cool but comfort is crucial, as seen among the designers of the spring 2010 runway shows. Give your spine a break this semester and trade in the high heels.

Louis Vuitton and Calvin Klein keep it low and stylish this season by replacing the sky-high heels with sandals and platforms.

Student-friendly option: Steve Madden’s Centurie; $27.97

***

There are many accessories and designs this semester to experiment with, so take charge and make a fashion statement of your own.

Expression is important, but with unstable temperatures, be sure to consider fabric weight and colors this spring. Have fun by personalizing trends that are in this season and keep it
comfortable.

Don’t be afraid of simple tops or flashy jewelry but remember it’s all about owning the look.