Students compete in push-up contest

Some friendly competition was the purpose behind a push-up contest at the Campus Recreation Center on Monday.

Student and faculty contestants were not timed, but push-ups had to be completed in the “correct form:” hands shoulder-width apart and arms fully extended, according to the contest rules.

“We wanted people to have fun and get people to come (to the center),” said Takiyah Dixon, a staff supervisor for the center and student double majoring in psychology and women’s studies. “This is healthy for your social life as well as your body.”

Sean Carter, fitness staff associate and a junior majoring in biomedical sciences, received a $25 Publix gift card for winning the men’s division with 109 continuous push-ups.

“I have never maxed out on push-ups before,” said Carter, who works out six days a week.

Georgia Montano, a freshman majoring in criminology, won the women’s division with 19 push-ups. She beat her only opponent by five push-ups.

The competition was also a way to get current gym members more involved, while also promoting the center to more people, said Joshua Torres, a student assistant at the center.

Torres said the center’s faculty wants to do more than just serve as “spotters” who supervise gym members’ workouts. He said it was a good way to get more people involved.