USF Delta Gamma chapter receives global recognition

USF’s Delta Gamma chapter of Beta Alpha Psi received the highest global recognition for international accounting achievements this month.

The chapter, made up of accounting students in the College of Business Administration (COBA), earned a gold ranking, which places it in Beta Alpha Psi International’s top 5 percent in the world.

“It is an honor for accounting at USF,” said Robert Forsythe, dean of COBA. “We have many great accounting students. However, Beta Alpha Psi has the very best accounting students.”

Beta Alpha Psi presented a video at an Aug. 6 competition in Brooklyn, that documented the organization’s core values, including leadership skills, community service and ethical behavior.

Chapters were ranked based on the videos. A chapter had to be ranked “superior” for at least two years, said Jonathan Minch, president of Beta Alpha Psi.

Fourteen chapters out of 284 at the competition earned a gold ranking and received $2,500. Beta Alpha Psi was the only chapter in Florida to be recognized.

“It’s an honor,” Minch said. “We won a grand prize … and any money is great.”

Minch said Beta Alpha Psi plans to use the winnings to create a chapter scholarship, which will be awarded to student members.

The chapter ranked “superior” for 34 consecutive years – something no other chapter in the world has done, said Lorie Briggs, director of Communications and External Relations for COBA.