Freshman receiver will miss 2009 season

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Daniel Bryant will be held out of the 2009 season because he failed to meet NCAA clearinghouse requirements, USF coach Jim Leavitt said after Monday’s practice.

Bryant, who took a medical redshirt last year, will still practice with the team, Leavitt said.

“We thought he’d be cleared but he never got the waiver,” Leavitt said. “(Daniel) is not ready anyway. He needs another year.”

Four other players – freshman tight end Isaac Virgin, freshmen defensive ends Ryne Giddins and Julius Forte and sophomore running back Bradley Battles still haven’t received final clearance from the NCAA to play this season.

“We feel very positive about all of this,” Leavitt said. “I think it’ll all be cleared up, I hope.”

Secondary still competing

The USF coaching staff has used many combinations in the secondary since practices started in early August, with as many as eight players possibly seeing playing time.

Senior Nate Allen and sophomore Jerrell Young – both safeties – will most likely start, Leavitt said. Senior Jerome Murphy and Kayvon Webster are strong candidates at cornerback with sophomore Quenton Washington and freshmen George Baker in the mix as well.

Redshirt freshman safety Jon Lejiste and sophomore corner Tyson Butler are also in the mix, but have been slowed by injury, Leavitt said.

Defensive coordinator Jim Tresey said the competition will last up until the final day of practice.

“It’s very competitive,” he said. “It’s subject to change, they know that. It’s big-time competition. That’s what makes your depth better.”

USF takes two in exhibitions

The USF women’s soccer team ended its preseason with a 2-0 record, finishing with a 2-0 victory over St. Leo on Saturday.

A pair of freshmen excelled during the Bulls’ win, as true freshman Eyllcia Colon scored in the 53rd minute and Brittany Burt, a redshirt, scored in the 82nd minute.

USF hosted Jacksonville University on Aug. 16 in its first exhibition game, winning 2-0 behind goals from sophomores Gina Pacheco and Chelsea Klotz.

USF begins its regular season Friday at 7:30 p.m. against FAU at the USF Soccer Stadium. The Bulls travel to face the Florida Gators on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Men’s soccer splits exhibitions

The USF men’s soccer team split two exhibition matches last week, beating the University of Tampa 4-1 on Aug. 17 and falling Friday at Akron 3-1 in a battle of two top 15 teams.

Zak Boggs, Ogi Perucica, Jorge Mora and Felipe Libreros all had goals against Tampa.

On Friday, Akron, ranked No. 3 in the preseason National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll (NSCAA), handed USF its first exhibition loss in the last two years. USF, ranked No. 11 in the NSCAA poll, got another goal from Libreros, his second in two games. Akron outshot USF 16-3.

USF will take on Stetson in its third and final exhibition this Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at the USF Soccer Stadium. USF’s regular season opener is Sept. 1, when the Bulls will host in-state rival UCF at 7:30 p.m.

Additional reporting by Johnathon Mulder