Heading back to school, indications that Florida is entering the fall season are difficult to find. The leaves don’t change color, and the temperature barely drops. Cold fall temperatures appear late in the South, and fashionable fall boots, coats and gloves that appear in fashion magazines seem too daunting for the humidity and heat.
The Oracle combed the pages of In Style, Lucky, Vogue, Glamour and GQ to uncover this year’s must-have fall fashion items. Many of the season’s trends can be achieved with simple modifications to students’ summer wardrobes.
What’s in your closet now, and how to wear it in fall:
Summer: Cropped jackets and shrugs are used to accessorize t-shirts and tank tops.
Fall: Layer over a long sleeve t-shirt or under a vest.
Summer: Pair with blousy peasant tops and sandals.
Fall: Add a jacket, leggings and pumps.
Summer: Wear them over a swimsuit with gladiator sandals.
Fall: Top with a structured jacket, tights and boots.
Summer: Stay cool with sandals and tank tops.
Fall: Add a heavy knit sweater, flats and a structured bag.
Summer: This is a favorite date or party top.
Fall: Layer over a long sleeve t-shirt or under a cardigan.
Summer: This dress is the favorite outfit for a night out.
Fall: Pair it with a long cardigan, and add a belt and flats for a fresh daytime look.
• Pieces with a hand-painted art feel will be everywhere this season. Wear artwork on dresses, blouses and accessories.
• Metal hardware embellishments are popping up on everything from jeans to jewelry. This statement-making trend is a great way to give a spring outfit a fall feel. Look for clothing, shoes and accessories with studs, rivets, chains and zippers.
• Victorian themes lend a romantic feel to fall. This “grown up” look incorporates floral prints, blousy shapes and romantic era pieces.
• Mixing patterns is a key summer trend that will transcend into the fall. To make this look feel more in season, combine autumn prints like plaids, stripes and argyles.
• Leather is a classic fall look that never goes out of style. To bring this trend up to date, look for cropped or bomber jackets, skirts with hardware, dresses and accessories.
• Cropped jackets with embellishments like faux fur or sequins are also in style.
• Mix and match fabrics such as velvet and satin. Both materials are available in everything from dresses and jackets to accessories and shoes.
• Anything goes for jeans this season: boyfriend jeans, dark washes and embellished denim are most trendy, but torn, slim and high-waisted jeans are still stylish.
• Grey is an unexpected neutral that is often showing up on tank tops, shoes and handbags.
• Tank tops with embellishments look great layered over a long-sleeve t-shirt or under a jacket. Best of all, they will carry into the spring.
• Layer shirts, sweaters, vests or jackets. Layers scream autumn and will keep you warm and toasty when the weather cools.
In Florida, when it is difficult to dress in fall fashions, sometimes all that is needed are a few key accessories to update a summer wardrobe.
• Tights, stockings and leggings are a great way to wear spring skirts and dresses in the fall. This season, look for embellishments such as sequins or buttons. Patterns of lace, polka dots, plaid, stripes and bold colors are far from dull.
• Scarves are always a fall trend. This season, look for bright patterns, bold colors, plaid and the new tube scarf.
• Structured bags are a classic accessory that can be updated by adding hardware and textured fabrics.
• Is it a shoe? Is it a boot? It’s the shoe bootie! Shoe booties won over hearts last year, and they are making a comeback. This is the ultimate versatile shoe, because it looks great with pants, skirts and denim.
• Embellished flats can take an outfit flawlessly from day to night. Look for jewels, hardware and feathers.
• Animal skin and print shoes will be a statement piece in leopard, zebra and tiger prints. Also, look for dyed prints to add a punch of color to an outfit.
• Extreme platforms add height and glamour to any look. Hint: this look will transcend seasons, so stay away from satin and suede fabrics that are limited to the cooler months.
For the Men:
Male fall fashions mirror the ladies. It’s all about layering, mixing fabrics and adding jackets. Tweed and leather jackets are a key trend. Too warm? Wear jackets open over a graphic t-shirt. Layer fall fabrics when it’s cool and mix patterns of plaid, stripes or argyle. Complete the look with canvas shoes leftover from summer, such as Converse or classic Vans.