A chemical spill at H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center caused an explosion and sent one employee to the University Community Hospital emergency room with a hand injury Wednesday night.
According to a University Police (UP) release, the employee was mixing three chemicals in a lab under a ventilation hood. The compound exploded, causing the employee second-degree burns.
UP received word of the explosion at 6:05 p.m. Tampa Fire Rescue also responded and transported the victim to the emergency room. The Moffitt Center handled the cleanup of the lab.
The Moffitt Center spokesperson could not be reached for comment.
– Staff Report