Notebook: Heath adds another

USF men’s basketball coach Stan Heath keeps bulking up in the area the team needs the most.

In April, Heath said the Bulls needed to add depth and talent in the post and Wednesday he added another recruit to that area: Kansas State transfer Ron Anderson.

Anderson, a 6-foot-8, 245-pound junior, signed a Grant-in-Aid to become the third post player in Heath’s 2009 class. The Bulls have five other players coming in for next season.

Anderson, who averaged 5.2 points and 5.3 rebounds last season, shot 53.2 percent from the floor in his career. He’ll have to sit out the 2009-10 season because of NCAA transfer rules.

Anderson went to the NCAA tournament with the Wildcats his freshman season, scoring 10 points in a victory over USC. The dual-threat forward is also the son of former NBA player Ron Anderson Sr.

“I felt comfortable with the coaches and players during my visit,” Anderson said in a
statement. “They were very welcoming and made me feel like family from the first minute I stepped on campus. I honestly believe we’re about to make history for our fans, alumni and the entire community of Tampa Bay. USF is on the rise in the Big East and I am privileged and excited to be a part of it.”

Along with Anderson, the Bulls are adding center Jarrid Famous, forward Toarlyn Fitzpatrick and guards Mike Burwell Jr., Jordan Dumars and Shaun Noriega. Guard Anthony Crater will also be eligible to play Dec. 12 after transferring from Ohio State last year.

USF ticket numbers increase for FSU game

With a substantial demand for tickets to the Bulls’ football game at Florida State in Tallahassee in September, USF has been allotted more tickets after selling out its initial amount.

USF initially received 5,000 tickets to sell and after doing so, it has received an additional 2,500 for the Sept. 26 matchup at Doak Campbell Stadium between the Bulls and the Seminoles.

“The Florida State tickets have moved quickly for the last three weeks and the amount of support made it clear we need to procure additional tickets,” said USF Executive Associate Athletics Director Bill McGillis in a statement. “Based on the fact that the number of tickets requested by our fans during the initial selling period far exceeded the number of tickets available at that time, we expect that these additional 2,500 tickets will move very quickly.”

USF and FSU reached an agreement to play Jan. 7. The Bulls and Seminoles will also meet at Raymond James Stadium in 2012.

Eriksen will coach USA softball

USF softball coach Ken Eriksen will serve as an assistant coach for the USA softball team in a number of different competitions this summer after being picked by a selection committee from a pool of 14 coaches.

Eriksen, who helped the Bulls to a 34-22 record this season, has plenty of national team coaching experience, assisting during three gold medal wins in the world championships from 2002-04.

This summer, he’ll coach at the team’s selection and training camp in Chula Vista, Calif. in June, the Canada Cup in British Columbia on July 4-12 and the World Cup of Softball in Oklahoma City on July 16-20.

Soccer player honored

USF junior midfielder Francisco Aristeguieta received the Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Award on Monday.

The Venezuela native earned a 4.0 GPA last year while also serving as team captain, leading the Bulls to their first Big East championship in soccer during his sophomore season.

Perhaps his biggest highlight of last year’s season was in the Big East semifinals where he scored two goals.

“Francisco has been a vital part of the USF soccer program,” said USF coach George Kiefer in a statement. “He’s set a standard not only on the field but off the field with his hard work and dedication to everything he does.”

Defending WNIT champs’ conference schedule set

The USF women’s basketball team received its regular season conference schedule from the league Monday with the Bulls playing 16 Big East games.

Each team will play seven home and away games and  one team twice, both home and away. USF will face Georgetown twice this season. The Hoyas went 20-14, 7-9 and routed the Bulls 86-68 last season.

While the dates and times will be announced later, teams USF will face next season in the Big East are: Georgetown (twice); DePaul, Pitt, Providence, Rutgers, Syracuse, Villanova and West Virginia at home; Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Marquette, Notre Dame, St. John’s and Seton Hall away.