Bulls head to Georgia Tech Invitational

As the USF track and field team enters its last meet of the season, members are preparing for the NCAA East Regional Championships in Greensboro, N.C., May 29-30.

First, however, the Bulls will travel to Atlanta to compete in the Georgia Tech Invitational on Friday and Saturday, USF’s last regular season meet.

The pressure will be high for many of the athletes who are trying to qualify for the NCAAs. Thirteen Bulls are set to compete in the competition.

Two of those are freshmen throwers Casey Wagner and Jared Thomas.

Wagner took second in javelin at the Big East Outdoor Championships on May 2 in Philadelphia. She broke her own school record with a throw of 152-8 feet while battling inclement weather. Wagner, who is originally from Pennsylvania, said that event gave her a lot of confidence.

“It felt good to be home last weekend,” she said. “I had the biggest cheering section and it was great to see my family and former coaches.”

Wagner said she’s looking forward to this weekend’s meet, which begins at 12 p.m. Friday. The javelin is set to begin at 6 p.m.

“We really want to use this to improve for regionals,” she said. “We can stay fresh and continue to learn.”

Thomas took third in discus at the Big East Outdoors with a throw of 179-6 feet. 

“I just have to relax and throw,” Thomas said. “I am ready to throw at the NCAA’s and I’m looking for even bigger throws this weekend.”