Global warming is good

In the last few decades, the environmental movement has received its share of setbacks. Through thick and thin, the “green” revolution has inexorably trucked on and earned its rightful place at the political table. No longer can people afford to let their environment speed toward a meltdown while they sit idly by and enjoy the fruits of the planet.

As a capitalist, I love green things — like money — as much as the next guy, but environmental activists should take a look at how their movement is affecting businesses. The time for political action is now — or not.

American citizens are constantly bombarded with political theories, social ideologies and relentless propaganda. Today, a large portion of environmental propaganda is based on the idea of global warming. Numerous corporations are funding research to study not only the causes of global warming but also its effects. Reputable companies like GE and ExxonMobil have teamed up with universities and laboratories across the globe to offer help and knowledge on the topic. It is this noble spirit that endears these companies to me and makes me wince when I see unfriendly legislation pass through Congress.

A bill was passed recently to raise emission standards for motorized vehicles and raise taxes for companies who pollute in ways that could be prevented. This type of legal action — which results from environmental propaganda — could cripple our teetering economy. I say that as long as these corporations intend to help the public push through this global environmental crisis, they should be immune to the environmental legislation we have in place.

The environmental movement, supported by a number of global organizations, is dedicated to ensuring the survival of Earth and all mankind. The only advantage businesses have is a small number of lobbyists, which the environmental movement matches with its propaganda. The scales here are obviously tilted in favor of the environmentalists. When will citizens move to restrict government from passing environmental legislation that negatively affects businesses? By funding research within the environmental movement, these companies have shown people they are just here to help. People should return the favor and help them for a change.

If a plea for fairness is not convincing enough, let’s take a look at global warming itself. The natural heating and cooling of the Earth has taken place for millions of years. Why are we set to change it now? As environmentalists, is it not right to embrace the natural cycle of things? Species come and go, so who cares if we lose a few thousand? Is a rainforest really that important? Have you ever even been to the rainforest?

Clearly, we do not stand to lose much, and if it came to a competition between business and the Earth, I would bet my last shirt on business. You see, businesses do not destroy things, they only transform them (see: law of conservation). In this way, everything we use really is organic. From the fuels we put in our cars to the preservatives and hormones we add to our food, it all comes from one place: the Earth.

The notion that the Earth could hurt itself is as silly as the idea that cells in our bodies could hurt us. In this way, even if global warming is caused by gasses in the atmosphere, it is not “man-made.” Rather, it is something the Earth has been doing for the past 4.5 billion years. Our planet was extremely hot back then, and humans did not even exist.

What are the liberal environmentalists going to say next to hurt business? Perhaps that the dinosaurs became extinct because none of them had health care? Maybe Venus is hotter than Mercury because an ancient alien race lived there and suffered an industrial accident. Or maybe this “green revolution” idea is just another piece of propaganda to make the enemies of business swoon. Besides, who are you going to believe? The Earth can’t speak to us, but green talks.

Brendon Fisher is majoring in environmental science.