Women’s tennis drops two

Spring break started on a high note for the USF women’s tennis team. However, it didn’t end that way.

The Bulls posted a season-high three-match winning streak by defeating Penn State, Syracuse and Wisconsin, but dropped two consecutive matches to SEC opponents this weekend at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts.

USF (5-10) fell 2-5 to No. 17 Kentucky (10-4) on Saturday and lost by the same score to the No. 33 South Carolina Gamecocks (8-7) on Sunday.

“We are playing well, but we had some great opportunities that we could not take advantage of,” said Bulls assistant coach Luisa Obando. “Losing the doubles point to Kentucky was huge. We need to capitalize on our chances.”

After dropping the No. 1 doubles match, duo Lauren Shumate and Natalia Guevara fell 7-3 and the Bulls dropped the point.

While the Bulls struggled, however, their top singles player, Irene Rehberger, had a solid victory Sunday over South Carolina’s Gira Schofield, improving her record to 8-1.

Since losing her first match against Texas A&M on Feb. 27, the sophomore from Spain has won eight consecutive matches.

“I’m feeling good right now, and I’m playing very motivated tennis,” Rehberger said. “I know the team counts on me, so I always try my hardest to win. When I’m playing my best tennis, I feel that I am tough to beat.”