Baseball sweeps Rutgers

Trying to live up to preseason expectations to contend for a Big East title, USF poured in 31 runs in three games and used solid pitching to sweep Rutgers (8-11, 0-3) at home in its first three conference games of the year.

“We expect ourselves to win the Big East this year,” said center fielder Ryan Lockwood. “This is the first step in doing that. We’re pretty happy with our play this weekend.”

The Bulls (13-7, 3-0) won six straight games after losing the first two of the Bulls Baseball Classic last weekend.

Lockwood finished with eight hits in 13 at-bats. He added a home run in the Bulls’ 15-7 win Saturday.

“I’m just trying to stay relaxed up there,” he said. “I feel pretty confident right now.”

The Bulls have scored six or more runs in six consecutive wins.

“We’re stringing together good at-bats instead of one here, one there,” Lockwood said. “That’s how to score runs.”

The Bulls had 18 hits Friday, 15 on Saturday and 13 in Sunday’s 10-5 win.

“They did a great job offensively all weekend,” said USF coach Lelo Prado. “Every time Rutgers got close, we answered back. It was a great performance, and we can build on this and move forward.”

Sophomore pitcher Randy Fontanez got the win Friday, giving up one earned run in seven innings and striking out six in USF’s 6-3 win.

Derrick Stultz pitched Saturday, giving up two earned runs in 5 1/3 innings and getting his third win of the year.

Junior Matt Quevedo was called on for unexpected long relief duties after starter Matt Stull left Sunday’s game in the second inning with a hand injury. Prado said Stull will get an MRI on Monday.

“The one good thing about (Quevedo) is that he wants that role, so that makes my job a lot easier,” Prado said. “Every time he’s come in early, he’s done a great job. He’s an upperclassman, a guy we count on, so hopefully he can continue to do that.”

Quevedo earned his third win after giving up three runs in 5 1/3 innings. Junior Shawn Sanford got his second save of the year without giving up a hit in 1 2/3 innings.

USF hosts Stetson on Tuesday at 7 p.m.