No. 3 Notre Dame tames USF

USF put up a fight with one of the nation’s best, but No. 3 Notre Dame was too much to handle.

The Bulls (2-8) could not upset the Fighting Irish and fell 5-2 at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts on Wednesday.

“It was a really tough match,” said Bulls coach Agustin Moreno. “(Notre Dame) came in here very fit and it is no question that they are one of the best teams in the country.”

USF sophomore Irene Rehberger improved her individual record to 3-1 with a defeat of No. 33 Kelcy Tefft in the top singles position.

USF senior Iciri Rai also saw victory, defeating No. 114 Kristen Rafael in straight sets,
6-2 and 7-5.

“Coming in, I knew it was going to be a tough match,” Rai said. “My mental attitude helped me get the win today.”

It was doubles, however, where the Bulls fell in all three matches before losing
four of six singles to Notre Dame (13-1). USF assistant coach Luisa Obando said it was good for the team to get experience from such a highly ranked team.

“It was a great match,” she said. “All of the girls played extremely well. This just shows how deep of a conference the Big East really is.”

USF will be back in action Friday at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts against Penn State
(2-9). The Bulls then play four matches at home over spring break against Syracuse
(8-3), Wisconsin (5-7), Kentucky (9-1) and South Carolina (6-4).