Bulls win two

Over the past few weeks, the softball team had been looking for confidence. For some players, Tuesday’s wins against Connecticut provided exactly that.

Led by two pitching performances, the Bulls (19-10, 2-0) swept a doubleheader with the Huskies, winning the opener 2-0 and then 5-0 at the USF Softball Field.

“We’ve been searching for an identity, and we knew that we were up against a good team in Connecticut.” Eriksen said. “Connecticut is an NCAA-quality team, and to beat them the way we did should send a message to our team. We’ll be very irresponsible if we don’t build on what we did tonight.”

In the opener, junior Kristen Gordon threw a complete-game shutout giving up two hits, one walk and eight strikeouts. Gordon said the credit belongs to the team’s defense.

“Tonight was a good night for us, especially for our defense,” she said. “We still have a long season ahead in the Big East, but it’s definitely a good start for us.”

In the second game, senior Cristi Ecks threw her first complete-game shutout of the season, giving up three hits and striking out eight batters.

“It was easy to pitch well because the defense and the offense were playing well behind me,” she said. “My team stepped up for me and that allowed me to pitch well.”

Ecks said Tuesday’s results provided a big confidence boost for the team.

“Connecticut is a very good team and to shut them out is a big accomplishment for us,” she said. “We’re not done yet — it’s only two games into the Big East season. These games give us great motivation going forward.”