Lecture talks about housing slump in U.S.

The economy is the dominant topic in the news. Students will be given the chance to ask their own questions about the economy when Nobel Prize-winning economist Vernon Smith gives a lecture on “The Housing Bubble that Engulfed the Economy” at USF on Friday.

In 2002, Smith was awarded the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences. He has authored and co-authored more than 200 works and earned his bachelor’s in electrical engineering from the California Institute of Technology. Smith has a master’s in economics from the University of Kansas and a Ph.D. in economics from Harvard.

“If students are interested in what is happening in the economy, it is a good opportunity to find out from an expert,” said Robert Forsythe, dean of the College of Business.

“(What) he is trying to do is talk about how we got into the recession and how we can get out of it,” Forsythe said.

Smith is a master at making people understand complex economic topics, Forsythe said.

The College of Business (COBA), the Department of Economics and the Bank of Tampa sponsored the event.

COBA expects the talk to draw a crowd of more than 100.

Ryan Kania, a junior majoring in finance and economics, said he will attend Smith’s lecture because he is interested in what Smith has to say.

“He’s a prominent individual (who is) definitely qualified and (he wants us) to pick his brain,” Kania said.

In addition to his speech at USF, Smith will give a few small, closed talks around the community with local business leaders.

The presentation will take place Friday at 10 a.m. in the Muma Auditorium (BSN 115). Admission is free.