Who’s hot, who’s not

D.Barr
It didn’t take long for men’s tennis coach Don Barr to make a statement in January. Playing in its first showdown of the year, South Florida pulled off a major upset over No. 11 Florida State on Jan. 19. The Bulls are ranked No. 28 and are 2-1 this season.

A.Gilchrist
While the USF men’s basketball team sputtered in January, freshman Augustus Gilchrist played his best basketball. Since his impressive 22-point performance against then-No. 1 Pittsburgh, Gilchrist has evolved into a consistent offensive threat for the Bulls.

R. Lockwood
Baseball season hasn’t even begun and already sophomore outfielder Ryan Lockwood is making noise at the national level. Last year’s Collegiate Baseball News Freshman Player of the Year hit .415 last season and was named a preseason All-American by four different organizations this season.

J. Sepulveda
Jazmine Sepulveda was the focal point of coach Jose Fernandez’s high-powered offense in non-conference play. However, since joining the Big East her January production has dropped. In all but one game, Sepulveda has failed to score in double figures.

L. Jovita
Despite tennis’ hot start in January, Lucas Jovita, perhaps its best player, hasn’t caught fire. Jovita, who is ranked No. 15 in doubles with teammate Thomas Estrada, has won only one match in singles and doubles combined this season. Jovita defeated UC Santa Barbara’s Philip Therp on Sunday.

J. Verdejo
Senior guard Jesus Verdejo continued his outside shooting woes in January. Verdejo is second in scoring on the team, but is 64 percent from the free-throw line and has only 40 assists. The Bulls are ranked last in the conference in scoring, averaging 61.3 points per game.