Gregory remains at USF

In a series of complicated, cloudy and uncertain events, University of South Florida assistant athletic director Chris Freet confirmed Wednesday that former offensive coordinator Greg Gregory is still a member of the coaching staff.

This comes just four days after USF made an official statement saying Gregory had been “released from his duties as offensive coordinator.”

In the statement, USF coach Jim Leavitt said: “Greg is an outstanding coach, and I appreciate everything he has done for us. It is time for our program to move in another direction.”

Shortly afterward, Gregory’s coaching profile was removed — though put back on later — from the USF Athletics Web site, gousfbulls.com.

USF confirmed Monday that Gregory was no longer on the coaching staff.

Freet said Gregory is still a member of the USF coaching staff, but is no longer the offensive coordinator.

The St. Petersburg Times reported that Leavitt was upset by Gregory’s interest in joining the University of Florida as a tight ends coach.

“Greg visited with me about the possibility of coaching at another school, and I felt like I had to make a move,” Leavitt told the Times. “I’m not going to have my offensive coordinator out visiting with other schools. If a position coach wants to do that, I don’t have as much a problem.”

However, Florida named Washington assistant Brian White its tight ends coach Wednesday.

USF made no comment on the Florida coaching job Wednesday.

Freet said Gregory’s place with the Bulls is still undecided.

“There is no confirmed title yet of his position, but he is still an assistant coach,” he said.

Leavitt was unavailable for comment.