South Florida will play FSU in 2009

They should just call the next two years of South Florida’s non-conference play “The Florida Classic.”

USF and Florida State University announced an agreement Wednesday to play a home-and-home series beginning in the 2009 season.

USF plays FSU on Sept. 26 in Tallahassee. The return game is in Tampa on Sept. 29, 2012.

“I thought it was a lie when I heard that,” said junior defensive end George Selvie, who announced Wednesday that he’ll return for his senior season. “I almost can’t believe it. I’m real attracted to that.”

The Bulls play the state’s three Bowl Championship Series conference schools in the next two seasons. USF will face the University of Miami next season on Nov. 28, as well as travel to the University of Florida — which plays the National Championship tonight — in 2010. The three teams have made a combined six Bowl Championship Series appearances in the past decade.

Selvie said the opportunity to play against that competition is a big plus for the school.

“Miami and Florida State in the same year — and Florida the next — that’s huge,” he said.

FSU coach Bobby Bowden is second on the all-coaching victories list in Division IA football, totaling 382 victories. Selvie said he looks forward to playing against Bowden.

“Obviously, he’s one of the best,” he said. “They have a great program up there, and it should be a great game.”