Boggs scores twice in USF win

USF 2, Harvard 1

The South Florida men’s soccer team continued its home success Tuesday night with a 2-1 win against Harvard (12-6-0) in the second round of the NCAA men’s soccer championship behind two goals from junior Zak Boggs.

The Bulls (15-4-2) haven’t lost at home this year, boasting a 10-0-1 record. It was the third game in the last four — all wins — in which Bulls had a player score two goals in a game.

“We’ve had a lot of different guys step up lately,” said Boggs, who is second on the team with five goals. “I’m just glad I was the one to be able to give my team a lift tonight.”

He didn’t waste any time in doing so.

In the fourth minute, senior Jason Devenish lifted a pass to the right corner of the 6-yard box, and Boggs came in from behind the defenders to send a header into the back of the net.

“(Devenish) put a perfect ball right in there and I was at the right place,” Boggs said.

The Bulls jumped out early, but Harvard fought back and tied the game.

In the 25th minute, Harvard’s John Stamatis ripped a shot from about 20 yards out, passing sophomore goalie Jeff Attinella to tie the game at 1-1.

“(Attinella) didn’t even see it,” coach George Kiefer said. “One of his backs moved out of the way. It was a longer ball and we didn’t do a good job of recovering. That was a good goal. Give the Harvard guy credit.”

Boggs responded with another goal.

In the 65th minute, freshman Sebastien Thuriere got in the open field and shot from about 15 yards out. His shot ricocheted off the goalie’s chest, and Boggs put in the rebound to give the Bulls control for the rest of the game.

“One of Zak’s best qualities is scoring goals,” Kiefer said.  “He took advantage of his chances.”

Kiefer was impressed with his team’s resolve.

“The team responded well tonight,” Kiefer said. “Harvard is one of the best teams in the country attacking-wise with the talent they have up top. They’re a legit team. I wasn’t surprised to see them get one.”

Kiefer said the Bulls have to keep the game in perspective.

“I think the key to any game is dealing with the ups and downs,” he said. “There’s going to be high points and low points. All year, we’ve managed not to get too high and not to get too low.”

The Bulls can ride this high into Saturday, when they’ll host UNC-Greensboro in the third round.