Tune in to terror

Thrill-seekers don’t need to venture to the silver screen to satisfy their horror cravings on Halloween. Viewers can enjoy thrills and chills all year long from the comfort of their own homes with spine-tingling television programming.

Horror TV is not a new concept. In fact, spooky television shows have been around for ages. The Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark? among others, have provided viewers with Halloween-like programming year-round for decades and many are still in syndication.

Today, there is no lack of horror-themed television shows. They play on viewers’ wildest fears with depictions of supernatural creatures such as vampires, ghosts and demons.

The newest horror show is HBO’S True Blood. The series — based on Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse book series — focuses on a waitress, Sookie (X-Men’s Anna Paquin) who falls in love with a vampire. However, unlike other shows with a vampire and human romance, this is a Southern Gothic tale, featuring vampires as everyday citizens who walk among normal people.

The vampires don’t seem to be a threat to humans, because of the invention of synthetic blood, but some locals struggle to accept them.

CW’s series Supernatural — in its fourth season — follows two brothers, Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Sam (Jared Padalecki) around the country. They battle demons and supernatural forces to avenge the deaths of their parents.

This season, time is running out as Sam has been preordained to be the leader of a demon army and Dean has less than a year to live.

The brothers have faced such infamous creatures as Bloody Mary, evil clowns, werewolves and ghosts.

Showtime’s hit series Dexter follows the life of a sociopath. Moonlighting as a murderous blood splatter analyst, Dexter (Michael Hall) justifies his killing sprees by victimizing people he feels deserve to die.

Sci-Fi’s reality show Ghost Hunters investigates unexplainable paranormal disturbances. The show is guaranteed to thrill as it plays on real-life situations in creepy locations.

In CBS’s Ghost Whisperer, Melinda Gordon (Jennifer Love Hewitt) acts as a mediator between ghouls and the victims they haunt. She helps the ghosts who have unfinished business on Earth find some rest.

Many enjoy the heart-racing thrill of being scared, which is why horror-themed films and television shows are so popular. These shows are broadcast year-round so viewers are not limited to Halloween programming for their horror fix. The next time you want suspense-filled, nail-biting, spine-tingling action, all you need to do is tune in.