USF beats Rattlers

Tuesday’s volleyball match against Florida A&M was designated as the Bulls’ annual “Dig for the Cure” match. Not only did USF win in straight sets, improving to 14-8 on the season, but they raised money for a charitable cause.

For every dig the Bulls had, money was donated to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. The Bulls totaled 36 digs.

“There is always a special incentive when you’re raising money for such an amazing foundation,” USF coach Claire Lessinger said. “We love to dig no matter what, but to know that every dig helped raise money for breast cancer is extra special.”

Junior outside hitter Marcela Gurgel led the Bulls with 10 digs, nine kills and five aces, including three consecutive aces in the second set.

Gurgel said she appreciated the fans coming out to support the Dig for the Cure match.

“Tonight was a lot of fun,” Gurgel said. “It’s always fun to play in front of our fans who give us a lot of energy. I want to thank all of our fans for coming out and supporting this great cause.”

Junior outside hitter Jarka Havlickova, junior middle blocker Alli Arbogast and freshmen outside hitter Alli O’Connor had eight kills each.

“Tonight was awesome,” O’Connor said. “We played really hard tonight and we were fired up to play to support a good cause.”

Arbogast said the match was special to her because she knows many families are affected by cancer.

“I have members of my family who have cancer,” she said. “It’s really good that we were able to play volleyball and raise money for such a great cause.”

Lessinger said she was glad her team was able have fun.

“It was a fun match,” Lessinger said. “We were able to get practically everyone in the match, which is an awesome experience for them on Dig for the Cure night.”