Women’s soccer splits weekend games

After losing 3-0 to No. 1 Notre Dame on Friday night, the South Florida women’s soccer team bounced back and beat the DePaul Blue Demons 1-0 Sunday afternoon. With the victory, the Bulls improve to 6-3-3 on the season and 2-2-1 in the Big East.

Freshman forward Chelsea Klotz scored a goal in the 74th minute, her fourth of the season, to defeat the Blue Demons. She leads the team with four goals. Coach Denise Schilte-Brown said she was proud of her team for gaining a huge road victory.

“The girls played as well as we could against Notre Dame,” she said. “We were ready for DePaul (Sunday) and got better as the game went along.”

Junior goalkeeper Mallori Lofton-Malachi had six saves and posted her fifth shutout of the season. Lofton-Malachi said the team played well against DePaul.

“I think we played well together as a team,” she said. “We came out in the last 10 to 15 minutes after we scored the goal and played well together and were able to get the win.”

Klotz said Sunday’s victory was huge for the team.

“It feels really good winning a road game in the Big East,” Klotz said. “We are all very happy and excited with the results today.”

As the Bulls’ Midwestern road trip concludes, they will now turn their attention to next weekend’s matches at Syracuse and St. John’s. Schilte-Brown said the team must take the season one game at a time.

“We prepare for one game at a time, she said. “We’re going to build on things we did well this weekend and prepare the best we can.”

The Bulls need to remain focused in order to continue winning games, Lofton-Malachi said.

“I think we’re playing well together,” Lofton-Malachi said. “We need to build on a few things, but overall, I think we are playing well.”