Sex, drugs, and full-frontal nudity

Filled with bell-bottoms and tie-dyed shirts, the play that sends audiences back to the psychedelic era of peace, love and revolution is coming to USF.

Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical is celebrating its 40th anniversary and is the fall musical for the University’s School of Theatre. The play tells the story of a young tribe of pot-smoking, draft-dodging society dropouts living in New York’s Greenwich Village.

“It’s all hippies and free love,” said Andy Frye, the 24-year-old guest director and choreographer from New York who also did choreography for The Rocky Horror Show last fall.

Hair was revolutionary when it debuted 40 years ago, since it boldly went where other shows hadn’t dared to go by celebrating social revolution. It was the first major Broadway production to feature rock music and a racially integrated cast, and it discussed taboo topics such as sexuality, race, peace and war.

“Nothing like this had been seen before at that time, so of course it was very controversial,” said Patrick Bolger, a junior in theater performance, who plays Claude.

Because of the obscene language, desecration of the American flag, the anti-Vietnam War theme and its infamous nude scene, Hair attracted threats and acts of violence in its early years. Two Supreme Court cases came about after some cities tried to shut down performances due to the nudity and flag desecration scene, according to broadwayworld.com.

The nude scene was the first time actors had been completely nude onstage in a major Broadway production, stated PBS’s Web site, pbs.org. And though onstage nudity is more common today — Broadway’s Equus features Harry Potter’s Daniel Radcliffe naked, for example — it still defines Hair for many.

“It’s a very powerful scene — it’s about being stripped away, (about) freedom and liberation,” said Frye.

Frye incorporated the nude scene into this production, but made it voluntary.

“It’s not just nudity for the sake of nudity, it’s a statement,” said Perrin Bisogno, a senior in music studies, who plays tribe member Chelsea. “It’s being done in a tasteful way with lots of back lighting so you don’t see that much.”

Though the story takes place in the ’60s, themes like war, drug use and environmentalism help both the audience and cast members relate to the story.

“These issues are still pertinent today,” said Bisogno. “Just think of the war we’re in today. We don’t want to be there, they didn’t want to be there. Their reaction was just different.”

To keep the show from becoming a period piece, Frye tweaked the script a little, updating pop culture references that today’s audiences might not understand. 

“The show holds many of the same values we do today, but it’s great that we were able to add our own personal aspect to the show,” said Bolger.

Hair will run at 8 p.m. on Oct. 2-4 and 8-11 and at 3 p.m. on Oct. 5 and 12 in Theatre I. Prices for general admission are $15 in advance and $18 at the door, and $10 in advance and $12 at the door for students and seniors.

For more information, contact the USF School of Theatre at 813-974-2323.