Bulls focus on football, remember former player

While preparing for Friday’s game against No. 13 Kansas, the No. 19 South Florida football team heard the news of the death of a former player.

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, former USF linebacker Mike Minus died in a traffic accident when the semi-trailer truck he was driving overturned around midnight Monday. The accident happened on Interstate 75 near mile marker 31.

Minus, who played with the Bulls from 2000 to 2002, made an impression on his former coaches.

“That’s a shame. It really is a shame,” USF defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said. “He was a good kid who had overcome a lot. He was a hard-working kid and he never gave us any problems.”

Depite the news of Minus’ death, the Bulls went out to prepare for Friday’s game.

At practice, the Bulls were focused on the Jayhawks.

Sophomore defensive tackle Terrell McClain — who had four tackles in relief duty against UCF Saturday — is competing for a spot in the starting lineup, Burnham said.

“He’s had a great week,” he said. “We haven’t made the final decision yet because we have to look at today’s film. We’ll probably make a final decision after tomorrow’s practice.”

Another position that may have a new starter is place kicker. Junior Delbert Alvarado is 1-of-4 this season, and Leavitt said he doesn’t know if Alvarado is going to start at kicker Friday.

Offensive coordinator Greg Gregory said a major key for the Bulls is going to be keeping the Kansas offense off the field.

“Kansas is a very good football team and if we’re going to beat them, it’s going to have to start up front,” he said. “We cannot turn the ball over, and we have to keep our offense on the field.”

Gregory added that while running backs are important in controlling the clock, every player needs to contribute for USF to be victorious.

“We can have nine or 10 guys doing what they’re supposed to be doing, but if one misses their point of attack, the whole play is ruined,” he said.

The Bulls are still waiting for the status of senior running back Ben Williams and sophomore running back Mike Ford — both of whom are nursing sprained ankles.

Leavitt said Williams looked good at practice and Ford will likely have his status reviewed closer to kickoff Friday.