Women’s soccer duo succeeding in offseason

It may be hard for some athletes to stay competitive during the offseason, but that hasn’t been the case for two South Florida women’s soccer players.

Junior goalkeeper Mallori Lofton-Malachi and senior forward Lindsay Brauer have spent their summers playing for the United Soccer League on the W-League’s Tampa Bay Hellenic team.

“I love that they are playing over the summer,” USF Coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. “It keeps them in shape and it keeps them focused on a high level of soccer.”

The players have enjoyed the opportunity to play against such a high level of competition during USF’s offseason.

“Obviously it’s really exciting because this is the highest level that we can compete at right now,” Brauer said. “It feels great to be able to share this experience with my teammates.”

Lofton-Malachi agreed that the summer league is a great opportunity.

“It’s an honor to be able to play with these talented women,” she said. “These are players who have played in college. Played overseas. These players have been paid professionals, and I think that’s a level that everybody on this team wants to reach someday.”

Playing with professionals has brought out the best in both Brauer and Lofton-Malachi.

Brauer was named to the W-League Team of the Week on June 23.

Lofton-Malachi earned her second award of the season by being named to the Team of the Week for the week of July 12. She was an honorable mention for Team of the Week honors on June 4.

Lofton-Malachi is 6-1-2 with 45 saves in 766 minutes for the Hellenic.

Gransberry slow with Pistons
Former USF center Kentrell Gransberry’s path to the NBA will likely be a long one. The Bulls’ all-time leader in rebounds per game (11.1) has seen limited action during his three games with the Detroit Pistons’ summer league team.

Gransberry played four minutes in his first two games. He did not make it off the bench in the third.

He is averaging 0.5 points and 1.0 rebound per game.