CAS restructured for budget cuts

The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) will be academically restructured to save costs while staying committed to academic excellence, said Provost Ralph Wilcox in an e-mail to the faculty and staff of CAS Thursday afternoon.

To read Wilcox’s letter, click here.

CAS will be split into three schools: the School of Behavioral and Social Science, the School of Humanities, and the School of Sciences. Departments, institutes, and schools that fall under theses categories will be housed in the appropriate school.

Also, four schools and departments were removed from CAS: The School of Aging Studies, the Department of Criminology, the Department of Mental Health Law and Policy, and the Department of Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling. These will be with similar departments to create a new college. The college has yet to be named.

The School of Architecture and Community Design will move into the College of Visual and Performing Arts. This college will also be renamed.

For a full list of the realignment, click here.

Wilcox said these realignments will be completed by fall 2008 and that students should not notice any changes. Administrators, however, will feel the brunt of the changes.

“It will take some considerable adjustments for administrators and academic leaders within the college,” he said. “There will be minimal disruptions upon the lives of our faculty and students.”

For the full story, pick up Monday’s Oracle.