Sailors finish 10th

USF athletics continues to represent the University in national championships, but this time the team isn’t on a field – its in the water.

The USF women’s sailing team finished No. 10 in the nation at the 2008 Intercollegiate Sailing Association (ISCA) National Championship in Newport, RI. Boston College finished in first.

As the only Florida school represented in the championship, the Bulls went into the three-day competition unranked to finish in the top 10 of 30 schools represented.

Four Bulls placed 13th as a team in the A division of the competition, and four others finished ninth as a team in the B division to finish 10th.

The Bulls finished second at the South Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association conference championship in April to qualify for the event in Newport.

The Bulls have an opportunity to compete at the ISCA Team Race National Championship and the ISCA Gill National Championship May 30 – June 4.

International playFormer USF volleyball player Kristina Fabris will begin her career as a professional with a team in Finland.

Fabris signed a professional contract to play in the Finland Volleyball League starting in August.

Fabris played her collegiate career as a middle blocker and will be utilized as middle and outside attacker by her new team.

A native of Sudbury, Ontario, Fabris finished the 2007 season second in kills (409) and digs (333) for the Bulls. She was also selected for the All Big East second-team.

Fabris participated overseas in a volleyball tournament with the USA collegiate team in Germany and the Netherlands to help the USA Red team go 3-2-2 in the summer of 2006.

Fabris received numerous accolades as a volleyball player at USF, including USF’s Institutional Female Scholar of the Year award in February and Conference USA’s Freshman of the Year in 2004.