Paparazzi event aims to keep Tampa sexy

Tonight, thousands will be in attendance for what many consider to be the most popular nightclub event in the Tampa Bay area. Lights, cameras and action will be present at Paparazzi V at Cee Jays Martini Bar & Lounge in Brandon.

The schedule of the event is as follows: Upon entering the building, you walk the red carpet and get a professional photograph taken of you and your entourage in your most glamorous outfits. Then it’s inside for socializing and snapshots, flying paparazzi-style. Attendees can retrieve their photographs at thatswzup.com.

The concept of the Paparazzi event was created in summer 2007 by Wild 98.7’s DJ Ekin, Virtual Media and Marketing Company, USF alumna and BET College Hill intern Ivy Box, and Urban:Eyes Music and Marketing, whose staff includes many USF students past and present.

“We felt that Tampa Bay was in dire need of a safe, diverse, truly sophisticated social atmosphere,” said Dave Melhado, former USF student and founder of Urban:Eyes. “We created an event for thousands of partygoers to come socialize and network with a sense of exclusivity.”

The exclusivity Melhado alludes to refers to the event’s strict dress code, officially listed as “fly urban couture,” as well as its bimonthly event schedule.

“We wanted to build anticipation for the event, and it has gotten to the point where people are making plans in advance for this event. People save their money for their freshest attire and invite friends from all over Florida to attend,” he said.

The event originally took place at the Seminole Hard Rock Casino before moving to Cee Jays. Sponsors for this event include Atlantic Records, Nuvo Sparkling Liqueur and Bud Light. The fifth installment of Paparazzi will also include best-dressed prize packages for Mr. and Mrs. Paparazzi, respectively.

For more information on Paparazzi, event attire and special announcements, contact the Paparazzi Entertainment Group at paparazzitampa@gmail.com or visit thatswzup.com. For VIP reservations, call 239-222-5425.