Women’s tennis preview

The No. 31 USF women’s tennis team (7-3, 0-1) heads north to Kentucky for a Friday-through-Sunday two-game series against the Louisville Cardinals (4-3, 1-1), a Big East rival, and the Kentucky Wildcats (7-2, 0-0).

First up tonight is Louisville, a team coming in hot after a lackluster 1-3 start with three wins in its last four matches.

“This is a series that we have to win no matter what,” USF coach Agustin Moreno said. “Louisville is a complicated opponent that is the third-best team in the Big East right now (behind Notre Dame and USF).”

The Bulls need a victory against the Cardinals to stay above .500 and climb up the rankings.

On Sunday, the Bulls leave Louisville and head to the University of Kentucky, where the Wildcats will be awaiting them after facing Kansas Saturday.

“Kentucky is a very competitive team,” Moreno said. “They upset (the) No. 18 Clemson Tigers last week. They are in a very powerful conference like the SEC (Southeastern Conference). In women’s tennis, the SEC and the (Atlantic Coast Conference) are the two most powerful conferences. Then come the Pac-10 and the Big East.”

USF is playing its 11th and 12th consecutive road games of the season, and even though the Bulls might be rested thanks to a 20-day hiatus earlier this season, the next two matches will prove a test of how mentally strong the women’s tennis team is.