Softball hosts second tournament of season

The USF softball team opened the season with a 3-2 start. After dropping two consecutive games, the Bulls will look to bounce back in the USF Best Western Tournament this weekend.

The tournament will pose a challenge for the Bulls, who will face the University of Mississippi Rebels (5-1) and Tennessee Volunteers (5-0) – both Southeastern Conference (SEC) teams. USF has lost five of its last six meetings against SEC teams, giving up a total of 18 runs.

All aspects of the Bulls’ team will be tested this weekend, as they face the No. 5 Tennessee Volunteers. The undefeated Volunteers have outscored their opponents 34-3 this season.

Freshman pitcher Ashton Ward has a 3-0 record with two complete games and a 0.00 earned run average.

The Mississippi Rebels will enter the tournament having won their first three games of the season. Sophomores Ashley Dowdy and Alise Doubt lead the Rebels’ offense combining, for 10 runs scored and 7 RBI.

The Bulls will have a chance to avenge Saturday’s loss against Florida Gulf Coast University and will need a repeat of solid pitching performances from senior pitcher Courtney Mosch and freshman Capri Catalano.

Mosch posted two complete game shutouts in the wins against Illinois and Memphis while Catalano only allowed a single hit in the Bulls’ defeat against Bethune-Cookman University.