Old favorites hit the Forum

Late-’90s sensations Matchbox Twenty and Alanis Morissette – accompanied by recent rockers Mute Math – will revisit their catalog of hits and introduce some new favorites to local fans on their second stop in the “Exile in America” tour, headlined by Matchbox Twenty. For the thousands of fans who will populate the St. Pete Times Forum tomorrow night, the ensuing show will be something of a trip back in time.

Back on the road after more than four years, Matchbox Twenty recently released Exile on Mainstream – a two-disc set which features a six-song EP of new material and an 11-track retrospective of their greatest hits – to impressive sales and much acclaim.

Matchbox Twenty landed on the music scene in 1996 with their massively successful debut Yourself or Someone Like You, which spawned hits like “3AM,” “Real World” and “Push.” The band continued to gain fame with two more successful albums. Then, in 2005, lead vocalist Rob Thomas released his Grammy-winning solo album Something to Be, perpetuating rumors that Matchbox Twenty was no more. However, bolstered by the success of their latest hit, “How Far We’ve Come,” the band – which has sold more than 30 million albums – has re-emerged and is expected to draw both longtime fans and newbies to its long-awaited reunion.

Adding to the old-school atmosphere of this tour, Morissette – best known for her 1995 debut Jagged Little Pill – brings her distinct angst-filled musings to the forefront as the primary opening act. Among the most memorable artists of the ’90s, Morissette has sold more than 40 million albums, nearly half of them her smash debut. In addition to the tour, Morrissette is wrapping up work on her next album, Flavors of Entanglement, and is set to take on a major film role in Radio Free Albemuth, based on a novel by sci-fi author Philip K. Dick.

Finally, Mute Math brings some new blood to the mix, with an energetic and eclectic style sure to keep the crowd rocking. The New Orleans-based band was recently named “#1 Band You Need to See Live Before You Die” by Alternative Press magazine. In addition to memorable performances on all of the major late-night talk shows, Mute Math performed the theme song to last year’s Transformers film.

With the “Exile in America” tour, the up-and-coming act – which made its major label debut in late 2006 – hopes to expand its growing fan base, as this tour marks the band’s greatest exposure to date.

With such a high-profile lineup of both established and rising stars, the “Exile in America” tour simultaneously offers today’s music lovers a chance to relive past tunes and take a peek at the future of rock.