Jenkins skipping out on Bowl

The Senior Bowl – which will be played next week in Mobile, Ala. – has lost one of the highest-profile players on either team’s roster.

Former Bulls cornerback Mike Jenkins has decided not to participate in the game.

Jenkins, a projected first rounder in April’s NFL draft, made a decision relatively common among potential first-round draft picks.

Players tend to opt out of showcase games to avoid potential injuries. Others opt out to avoid having a poor showing and hurting their draft status.

One former USF player who will participate is Ben Moffitt.

Moffitt – who is projected to be a mid-round selection in the draft – had 104 tackles and four interceptions on the season.

Making the gradeThe USF softball team is celebrating an accomplishment off the field.

Two-thirds of the players – 17 of 26- earned a 3.0 GPA or higher during the fall semester. The 3.4 collective GPA was the highest team average attained in more than a decade.

“This has nothing to do with coaching,” head coach Ken Eriksen said in a press release. “The praise must go directly to these exceptional student-athletes. We work them hard on the field, but they do all the academic work. It says a tremendous amount about the character of this team and the pride they have in their University.”