Gregory showing interest in alma mater

The University of Richmond has a head coach vacancy, and it is showing interest in alumni to fill it. One of them is South Florida offensive coordinator Greg Gregory.

Gregory is showing a “very strong interest” in the position, according to a Monday report in the St. Petersburg Times.

The Daily Progress in Charlottesville, Va. reports Gregory will be one of three candidates for the job. The other two candidates are Virginia defensive coordinator Mike London, another Richmond alum, and Richmond defensive coordinator Russ Huesman, who is serving as interim head coach.

Gregory is not a stranger to the Richmond program. He played as quarterback for the school from 1976 to 1979. He and London were teammates on the 1979 team.

Gregory was also an offensive coordinator for Richmond in 2000. During that year, the Spiders earned an NCAA 1-AA playoff berth with a 10-3 record and won the Atlantic 10 Conference title.

Gregory has head coaching experience as well: From 1998 to 1999, he held the position for Missouri Southern State College in Joplin. In those two years, he posted an 8-13 record.

The vacancy in Richmond came after former head coach Dave Clawson accepted an offer by the University of Tennessee to be their offensive coordinator.

BULLS FACE MOUTAINEERSWhen the West Virginia Mountaineers (12-4, 2-2) come to town Sunday to take on the Bulls (10-7, 1-3), they will play under the lights of the St. Pete Times Forum in downtown Tampa.

The last time USF played at the Forum was Dec. 29, 2006, against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. The Bulls delivered a 75-67 victory against a tough Atlantic Coast Conference team.

In that game, senior center Kentrell Gransberry delivered a crucial performance, making three crucial free throws in the final minute to help USF snap a four-game losing skid.

A victory this weekend would end a three-game slide and give the Bulls their second win in the conference.

With some analysts picking USF to be a possible bubble team for the NCAA Tournament, a victory against the Mountaineers would give USF a quality win. That is something the Bulls need to have a chance.

Last year, West Virginia beat USF in Morgantown 69-58. In that game, Gransberry got into foul trouble and played only 25 minutes.

Last week’s home game marked the largest attendance for USF this year with more than 6,000 people in the stands when No. 20 Pittsburgh visited.