Jim Leavitt shakes up his coaching staff

USF football coach Jim Leavitt announced Monday that his coaching staff is undergoing some changes this offseason.

Rich Rachel, who coached the defensive backs for the Bulls this season, and Pat Burnham, director of High School Relations for the Bulls since 2000, will each fill new roles in the 2008 season.

Rachel – an assistant who has been on the Bulls’ coaching staff since 2000 – will no longer focus on the defensive backs. Instead, he will move into the position of director of High School Relations. He will be spending more time scouting high school players from around the country.

Rachel has been coaching various forms of football since 1969, and coached a secondary that was touted to have the best cornerback tandem in the nation in Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams.

With Rachel taking over his former position, Burnham will become assistant director of Football Operations. Burnham – son of USF defensive coordinator Wally Burnham – has been working in football since 1998 with the University of South Carolina.

Come early for parking

Night classes could make parking a problem for Wednesday night’s nationally televised men’s basketball game against No. 20 Pittsburgh.

Despite a 7:30 p.m. tipoff – about a half an hour later than usual – the USF Athletic Department is encouraging fans to arrive early to avoid parking in an overflow lot.

Once the Sun Dome lots reach their capacity, fans will not be able to turn onto 50th Avenue from Elm Street.