Bulls ready to host Florida A&M

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL GAME TIMEFlorida A&M (6-0) at USF (6-2)When: Sunday, 2 p.m.Where: Sun DomeTV/Radio: 1010 AM

The USF women’s basketball team will look to continue its hot streak when it takes on another in-state rival. On Sunday, the Bulls (6-2) will host the Florida A & M Rattlers (6-0).

The Bulls have won the last four games – each of which were against schools from smaller conferences – but have not looked impressive in victory. Despite winning the games, the Bulls have been plagued by several problems.

The Bulls have turned the ball over 147 times this season – an average of 18.3 times per game. USF is not making the most of its opportunities from the free throw line – the Bulls have sunk only 60 percent of their free throw attempts.

The Bulls will try to fix these problems, and quickly. The Bulls have only five games before Big East Conference play begins.

A key matchup to watch during Sunday’s game will be Bulls’ junior guard Shantia Grace against FAMU’s junior guard Deidra Jones.

Jones scored 28 points and pulled down six rebounds for the Rattlers against Bethune-Cookman. The performance earned Jones Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Player of the Week honors.

Grace, who is leading USF in points per game, has seen a surge in minutes on the court. Grace has played 77 of a possible 80 minutes during the last two games.

Jose Fernandez, coach of the Bulls, realizes this game is more important that it appears to be on paper.

“This game is important,” Fernandez said. “If we can go into the Cancun trip 7-2, you’ve got to be pretty happy about that.”