Two Bulls earn Big East weekly honors

Two University of South Florida basketball players were awarded Big East Conference honors Monday for their performances last week.

Dominique Jones – a freshman on the USF men’s team – was named Big East Rookie of the Week after averaging 22 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 3 steals in two victories last week.

In the Bulls’ 75-67 win against Central Florida on Sunday, the 6-foot-4-inch guard scored a career-high 30 points, only three shy of breaking Redenko Dobras’ USF freshman record of 33 set Feb. 11, 1989. Jones preceded his 30-point game against the Knights with a 14-point performance in the Bulls’ 77-69 win at Florida International on Nov. 26.

“He played really well,” coach Stan Heath said of Jones’ performance against UCF in a press release. “He is very aggressive. He’s making a lot of plays. He is growing up. Not only can he score, but he’s got a good feel for the game out there. When he gets the ball in the open floor he’s really dangerous. I thought what got him going was he got some offense through his defense. He got some steals early in the game and I thought that got him going.”

Joining Jones on the Big East Conference’s weekly award list was South Florida junior Shantia Grace.

Grace – a guard on the women’s team – was named to the conference’s weekly honor roll after averaging 23 points, four rebounds, four assists and three steals in two Bulls’ wins last week.

Like Jones, Grace also set a career scoring mark last week, tallying 29 points against Florida International on Nov. 29. The Sarasota native followed up the performance with a 17-point outing against Saint Peter’s on Dec. 1. Grace is leading the Bulls in scoring (17.3 points per game) and assists (3.7 per game) this season and has recorded double figures in all six games USF has played.