Memorial held for USF Cycling team founder

Joshua Kuck

A memorial service will be held today for founder and co-captain of the USF Cycling team Joshua Kuck. The 22-year-old was killed Sunday while riding in Dade City during an organized bike ride sponsored by the Tampa Freewheelers cycling club called the “Hilly Hundred.”

Members of the USF Cycling team will gather in front of the Phyllis P. Marshall Center at noon to pay tribute to him.

Kuck was heading southbound on Clay Hill Road when, according to a Florida Highway Patrol news release, he ran a stop sign at the Blanton Road intersection. He was making a left turn onto Blanton Road when a Dodge Ram, driven by James T. Browning, 48, of Dade City, struck the back of his Specialized E-5 bicycle and killed him instantly. No charges have been filed.

Founded two years ago, the USF Cycling team has been a product of Kuck’s dedicated enthusiasm for cycling, his teammates said. Kuck was in his fifth year of college – his fourth at USF – and was “really coming into his own,” his father said.

The team members said they plan to continue what their founder created and dedicate the 2008 season to his memory. They will also create a scholarship in his name to aid future team members who want to join but lack the financial resources.

A memorial service has also been scheduled for Sunday at 2 p.m. in the St. Bartholomew’s Catholic Parish in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, where Kuck lived before moving to Florida.