MC Plaza plans move forward

USF students support Student Government’s plans to spend an additional $1 million on upgrades to the plaza outside the new Marshall Center, members of student government said Tuesday night.

The conclusion that students backed the additions to new student center, slated to be finished in 2008, was based on a survey of 450 students and interviews with two student organizations.

A Senate committee chaired by Senator Frank Malatesta was formed to see if the cost and source of funding for the proposed changes conflicted with student feeling.

Malatesta said only two organizations were consulted because of time constraints, and since committee members already had connections in the groups and could easily hear the views of members.

“We’ve concluded that the student body is in strong support (of the enhancement),” Malatesta said, referring to the survey results and the meetings with the organizations.

A resolution outlining the enhancements passed the Senate on Tuesday night without objection. It will face a final vote next Tuesday before being turned over to student body President Garin Flowers and finally USF President Judy Genshaft.

According to a text of the resolution, the proposed enhancements to the new plaza include a stage usable by student organizations, an extension of the design into the South Marshall Center Plaza, and a grass area for holding student event such as Movies on the Lawn.

In addition, a 900 sq. ft. fountain was included in the resolution, to be decorated with at least three life-size bulls made of fiberglass and concrete. The statues cost $50,000 each.

Several senators, including Senate Pro-Tempore Nicole Randazzo and Rules Committee Chairman Keenan Arodak, spoke in favor of the resolution, saying the value to the University and the students it could attract outweigh the cost.

If the Office of the President approves the resolution, SG will allocate the funds to the Marshall Center project. To view design photos and a virtual simulation of the proposed MC plaza, visit ctr.usf.edu/renovation/plaza.html.

Proposed addition highlights:

32 oak trees $48,000

900-sq. foot fountain $240,000

3 Bull statues $150,000

IN OTHER BUSINESS

• Several new senators were sworn in at Tuesday’s meeting. Eight represent the College of Arts and Sciences, with one senator each voted in for the Colleges of Business, Engineering, Architecture, Education and Fine Arts.

• Jason Sehl was named Senator of the Month.