USF falls to Gators

The USF women’s soccer team had a rough weekend away from home, dropping Friday’s game against No. 14 Florida and Sunday’s game against the University of Georgia by a combined score of 7-0.

The Bulls fell behind early in their 4-0 loss at the hands of the Gators, allowing a goal in the second minute of the game. However, sophomore goalkeeper Mallori Lofton-Malachi made two first-half saves and the Bulls went into halftime trailing 1-0.

During the second half, the Bulls could not find a way to stop Florida’s high-powered offense. Lofton-Malachi managed to make three second-half saves, but also gave up three second-half goals. After the game, head coach Denise Schilte-Brown felt like the loss will be for the team’s greater good.

“It is always a great experience to play a high nationally ranked team,” Schilte-Brown said in a press release. “We are going to grow from this game because it will help us prepare for the Big East and the games we need to win later in the season.”

USF’s record dropped to 0-2-1 on Sunday, when the University of Georgia beat the Bulls 3-0 in Athens, GA.

The Bulls and Georgia played an even match for most of the first half. With only six minutes to play in the first half, Lofton-Malachi fell chasing a loose ball. Bulldogs midfielder Lindsay Stein took advantage of the empty net, and gave Georgia a 1-0 halftime lead.

Georgia also attacked early in the second half. USF gave up two goals in the first four minutes of the second half. The Bulls simply couldn’t recover from the deficit.