Three underage drinkers arrested

University Police arrested three underage students early Friday morning and charged them with DUI or drug possession.

One of the men was found sleeping behind the wheel of his truck at a traffic light with the engine running and the car in drive, police spokeswoman Meg Ross said.

The arrests – only one a USF student – were made on a night when police were conducting a sobriety checkpoint on Maple Drive, just south of Fletcher.

The checkpoint lasted two hours and began at midnight, about three hours after the conclusion of USF football’s annual pre-season pep rally, Round-Up.

Joseph Keller, 20, from Odessa, Fla., was charged with drug possession. At 4:16 a.m., UP received a report of a man sleeping at the wheel of his truck at the traffic light on Magnolia and Holly. Police found marijuana and a pipe on the passenger seat of his truck. Keller was released later that day on a $1,500 bond.

Daniel Henson, 18, a pre-med student at USF, was charged with DUI and possession of alcohol by a minor. When police stopped Henson at 12:16 a.m., they found a cup containing an alcoholic beverage and could smell alcohol in his car, Ross said. Henson was released from the Hillsborough County jail later that morning on a $750 bond.

Corey Flanagin, 18, a student of Hillsborough Community College, was charged with felony drug possession. Ross said officers found 24.9 grams of marijuana and five tablets of ecstasy under Flanagin’s emergency brake. Flanagin was released later that day on $9,500 bail.

Christine Gibson can be reached at (813) 974 – 6299 or oraclegibson

@gmail.com.