Police Department awarded nationally

The USF Police Department took second place in the 2006 International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Law Enforcement Challenge. The award recognizes and rewards best overall traffic safety programs in the United States.

The USF PD was rated against law enforcement facilities with similar-sized and typed agencies of up to 40 officers, and placed second to the California State University Police.

“We’re very proud of it,” said Police Chief Tom Longo. “It validates what we do. We try so hard to keep the campus safe and traffic is a big part of that. The fact that we were judged by our peers on a national level and having second place really complements what we do.”

The Law Enforcement Challenge concentrates on efforts to enforce laws and educate the public about occupant protection, impaired driving and speeding. Departments submit an application by mail – usually in a three-ring or presentation binder – documenting their agency’s efforts and effectiveness in these areas. The winning safety programs are selected based on their effectiveness in combining officer training, public information and enforcement to reduce crashes and injuries.

The Police Department will receive the award Oct. 16 at the IACP conference in New Orleans.