Softball wins two games, postpones two more

The softball team’s doubleheader with Syracuse to wrap up a four-game road trip was canceled Sunday due to bad weather, as the Northeast expecting at least 15 inches of snow and rain.

No make-up date has been scheduled.USF swept Friday’s doubleheader with Pittsburgh behind strong pitching and timely hitting. Senior Danielle Urbanik led the charge at the plate, batting .714 with five hits and five RBI in the two victories.

Bree Spence got the victory in a 5-2 win in Game 1, and Courtney Mosch was the winning pitcher in a 4-0 victory in Game 2. Freshman Kristen Gordon came on in relief in both games, recording two saves.

“Bree gave us a good start, and she threw the ball well in 30-degree weather and got us off to a good start,” coach Ken Eriksen said. “And then (Gordon) was fantastic in relief of both games.”

In Game 1, the Bulls (33-19, 5-3) wasted little time grabbing an early lead after loading the bases in the top of the first inning. Britta Giddens led off with a single and stole second base, and Tara Toscano reached on a bunt single.

Kit Dunbar drew a walk and Alison Savarese followed with a single to right, scoring Giddens and Toscano, and giving the Bulls a 2-0 lead. USF added three more runs in the second to take a 5-0 lead.

“I think the top of our lineup was big in both of the wins on Friday,” Eriksen said. “We scored two runs in the first inning in the first game and then Urbanik’s home run in the second game.”

That was all the run support Spence needed as she allowed two runs on three hits with three strikeouts in four innings. Gordon pitched three shutout innings of relief, allowing one hit with four strikeouts.

In Game 2, Urbanik made a statement in the first inning as the Bulls loaded the bases again. Urbanik hit a 3-2 fastball deep over the centerfield wall for a grand slam and a 4-0 lead.

Mosch’s performance on the mound was as successful to Spence’s, pitching 5 1/3 innings while allowing three hits with nine strikeouts. Gordon came on in the second game and was just as dominant, with four strikeouts in 1 2/3 innings.

“She was dominant once again. Our pitching staff gave us four or five innings of great pitching,” Eriksen said. “Mosch was getting ahead of the hitters early, and she looked really good on the mound.”