Softball team faces two doubleheaders

Rhode Island (3-11) at USF (24-14)When: Today, 5 p.m.Where: USF Softball ComplexTV/Radio: None

The softball team begins a stretch of four games in two days against Rhode Island and Princeton. Head coach Ken Eriksen will use these two doubleheaders to see if his young team is ready for Big East conference play.

Eriksen will have to call on Courtney Mosch and Kristen Gordon to put up some innings as Cristi Ecks and Bree Spence are experiencing some midseason fatigue. Mosch, who missed more than a week with a kidney infection, pitched for the first time in 10 days in a 3-1 loss on Sunday.

Eriksen likes the improvement in the offensive production of his team with four hitters batting over .300 this season. Kit Dunbar leads the Bulls with a .413 batting average and Danielle Urbanik has a team-high 15 RBIs.

The Bulls need to use these next four games to grab some momentum heading into conference play. USF had some struggles over spring break on and off the field, but is ready to move forward.

USF will go on the road for the first time this season next week when they head to Stetson for a doubleheader. So these next four homes games are crucial for the Bulls.

Keep an eye on: shortstop Britta Giddens. She was named Big East Player of the Week on Monday. Giddens has a team-high .478 batting average, 11 hits and five RBI. She also leads the team with seven doubles.