Football staff complete; filled by head coach, former staff member

On the eve of National Signing Day, coach Jim Leavitt announced the hiring of two assistant coaches after the flurry of departures since the Bulls’ season ended in December.

Former Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney and Arizona pass game coordinator Mike Canales were named assistant head coach/defensive line coach and receivers coach, respectively.

McCarney was in his 12th season with the Cyclones, making him the longest tenured coach in the Big 12. Canales returns to USF after leaving in 2001 to be quarterbacks and receivers coach for N.C. State. After two seasons, Canales joined Herm Edwards with the Jets for one season in the same position.

Canales was the first offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for USF in 1996 when the team practiced without any outside competition. He was the first to coach USF’s record-setting quarterback Marquel Blackwell. At the Wolfpack, he helped develop San Diego Chargers quarterback Phillip Rivers.

“I’m absolutely ecstatic to add Dan McCarney and Mike Canales,” Leavitt said in a statement. “Both of these guys are loaded with energy, and they have a great passion for teaching young men to play the game of football. Their beliefs are right in line with mine, and our players are going to love to learn from them.”

Leavitt also announced the promotion of Wally Burnham to associate head coach, in addition to his continued role as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.

The Bulls have lost four assistants since their first bowl win, which came against East Carolina on Dec. 23. Receivers coach Lawrence Dawsey returned to FSU, his alma mater, for the same position; defensive line coach Bernard Clark returned to FIU after one season with USF; offensive coordinator Rod Smith returned to West Virginia to coach with Rich Rodriguez; and offensive line coach Grey Frey went to the Mountaineers, as well.

“I’ve known coach McCarney since 1989 when I was a graduate assistant at Iowa,” Leavitt said. “He is absolutely the best defensive line coach I’ve ever been around, and we are very fortunate to have him at USF.”

Leavitt added that he was glad to have a familiar face on staff.

“Mike was with us when we started the program at USF, and I’ve followed his career and been impressed with the job he has done everywhere he has been – both in college and with the Jets in the NFL. He’s a great coach and a great recruiter.”

McCarney led the Iowa State program from 1995-2006 and took the program to five bowl games in six years, he was named the Big 12 Coach of the Year in 2004.

Prior to Iowa State, McCarney helped build the Wisconsin defense as coordinator for Barry Alvarez when he took over in 1990. By 1993, the Badgers became Rose Bowl Champions and had a 10-1-1 record.

McCarney joined Alvarez at Wisconsin from Iowa, his alma mater, where he was a longtime assistant to Hayden Fry. He played for the Hawkeyes from 1972-74 and coached with the program from 1977-1989.