Letters to the Editor

Re: “Keeley Dorsey, 19, passes out during routine workout,” by Mike Camunas, Jan. 18.

I shared the rare and shocking opportunity to find out that a former student died with the rest of USF. I don’t mean “former student” from when I first started teaching, or even a year ago. Keeley Dorsey was my student last semester. I saw him a short month ago. Just the other day, I put his portfolio to rest with the others that I do not keep as a matter of course. He said he did not want it back, and we both knew that it was not the best work in the class. It was passing work, however, and it brimmed with dreams of football.

Keeley was a charming student who attended each and every one of my classes without fail, except when the football team was on the road. He just came off a winning season that got USF into a bowl game, which they won easily at 24-7. No, Keeley was not one of my best students, but he was an honest and sincere student who was passionate about football. I urged him to write about football and to blog about his frustrations and joys with the team. The last time I saw him, he had a smile on his face as he headed out the door of the classroom, relieved that the semester, and English Composition II, was over. It was good having him as a regular contributor to the class.

I cannot imagine how his parents must feel. I can guess, because I have a teenage son who had a football dream, but weak joints seem to have put that on hold. He informs me right now that he is off to work out with his friend and I feel my heart sink because Keeley was working out when he passed away. But this sinking heart cannot compare to a parent’s grief over losing their child.

Life isn’t fair. And one more bright light has been forever dimmed.

Patricia McCabe-Remmel is a graduate student and an instructor in the English department.